- Prep Time: 1h
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 30m
- Yield: 2 loaves
For the cakes:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) soy butter, softened
- 3 cups gluten-free flour (I am OBSESSED with Bob’s Red Mill 1:1)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup aquafaba (I used the liquid from one can of chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the candied lemons:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, sliced to about 1/8″ thick
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line 2 loaf pans (9″x5″) with parchment and grease the parchment with soy butter or oil.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the soy butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the olive oil and continue mixing until consistent. Gradually blend in the sugar, aquafaba, and vanilla. The resulting mixture will be very creamy and a bit fluffed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together gluten-free flour, cardamom, salt, and baking powder. On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and soy milk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into each loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you want to let it get a bit more brown and crispy around the edges, you can let it go an extra 15-20 minutes and it will develop a pleasantly chewy crust (in case you’re into that kind of thing).
- While it’s baking, candy the lemon: in a large skillet or saucepan over medium high heat, combine water and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil, making sure sugar is dissolved. Place lemon slices in water in a single layer, and lower heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, flipping occasionally, until lemons are translucent, about 10 minutes. Cool on wax paper until ready to place over glazed loaves.
- About 10-15 mins before the loaves are done, making the icing: in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine confectioner’s sugar vanilla, and 1-2 tbsps of soy milk. Continue adding soy milk in small drizzles until the icing is runny enough to pour.
- When loaves are baked and cooled, remove them from loaf pans to a cooling rack. Pour icing over each cake, then arrange lemons on top.
- Eat some immediately, because believe me, these babies go fast.